To many people, this might look like a heart attack waiting to happen:
but to me, they are the ingredients to tonight’s dinner: Egg noodles with bacon and cabbage (and sausage!)
1 (12 ounce) package of noodles
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound bacon (I used a whole pound)
1 onion, chopped
1 small head cabbage, chopped (I used a large head…over 5 pounds large)
1 dash garlic salt
Sausages! (Optional…I used spicy Italian sausages)
1. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate.
2. Place the onion into the skillet with the bacon grease, and cook and stir over medium heat until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in the cabbage, and cook and stir until wilted, about 5 minutes. Chop the bacon, add it to the skillet, and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the egg noodles, return to boil. Cook, uncovered until the noodles are cooked through, but still firm to the bite, about 5 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and stir in the butter.
4. Add the cooked and buttered noodles to the skillet of cabbage, stir and continue cooking just until heated through.
5. If you want to add sausage, between steps 1 and 2, add the sausage into the bacon grease and brown on all sides. Take out, chop to bite size pieces, then add back to pot to cook through before scooping out onto a paper towel-lined plate. Add this back to the cabbage and onions with the bacon.
Sausage grease, bacon grease, butter…try this yummy recipe at your own risk.
Mommy’s little helper overlooking the process.